The Synthetic Sentence Identification (SSI) can be used to: a) test speech intelligibility, b) test central auditory function, and c) evaluate hearing aid performance. It is considered appropriate for ages 11 and up. The SSI uses contralateral or ipsilateral competition. The primary signal consists of ten synthetic sentences. The competition is a male talker reading a passage.
Auditec has recorded FOUR versions*:
1. Contralateral competition (SSI CCM): This is a dichotic test using binaural integration sensitive to cortical vs. brain stem lesions. The sentences are on the left track (channel) and the competition is on the right. This is the SSI Contralateral Competing Message version; Item 123; Price $104.75 USD + S&H.
2. Ipsilateral competition (SSI ICM)*: This is considered a monaural low-redundancy test (monaural separation closure-MSC) sensitive to low brainstem lesions. It is an auditory figure ground test. Both the sentences and competition are recorded on one track (channel) at various message-to-competition ratios (MCR) or signal-to-noise ratios (S/N).
- SSI-ICM -20 – +10. The MCRs are mixed -20, -10, 0, +10, -20, -10, 0, +10, 0, & 0 dB per set of 10. This is the SSI Ipsilateral Competing Message version; Item 136; Price $104.75 USD + S&H.
- SSI-ICM +10 – -20. Here the MCRs begin with +10 and progress to -20 dB similar to (a.) above. This is the SSI Ipsilateral Competition, Reverse Order; Item 160; Price $104.75 USD + S&H.
- SSI-ICM +10 – 0. The first two sets of sentences are recorded at +10 dB MCR, the remaining eight at 0 dB MCR. This is the SSI Ipsilateral Competition, +10 & 0 MCR; Item 161; Price $104.75 USD + S&H.
*NOTE: Each version is sold separately; therefore, it is necessary to specify the version or item number when ordering. It may be unnecessary to purchase the Contralateral and Ipsilateral versions since the administrator can mix the channels at various signal-to-noise ratios using a dual-channel audiometer.
The Synthetic Sentence Identification includes: a) audio test recording, b) instructions and score forms as printable pdf files. Normative data is included for hearing aid evaluation only. No normative data is included for the central auditory function; however, the audiologist can uncover useful insight by comparing the patient’s performance on the contralateral and ipsilateral presentations. Available from Auditec, Inc. Call 1-800-669-9065 (from US) or 314-416-1050 (outside the US) to order. FREE shipping within the contiguous US.
[SSI Contralateral Competing Message version; Item 123; Price $104.75 USD + S&H]
[SSI Ipsilateral Competing Message version; Item 136; Price $104.75 USD + S&H]
[SSI Ipsilateral Competition, Reverse Order; Item 160; Price $104.75 USD + S&H]
[SSI Ipsilateral Competition, +10 & 0 MCR; Item 161; Price $104.75 USD + S&H]
*Auditec also sells the Spanish Synthetic Sentence Identification in Contralateral and Ipsilateral versions.